Masthead header

Brandywine Manor House | History

Brandywine Manor House | Char Photography

Char Co.


Built in 1740, Brandywine Manor House is located in the heart of beautiful Chester County, Pennsylvania, founded and owned by the Eck family. Little has changed in the landscape surrounding Brandywine Manor House since the time when the first residents lived here. James and Jane Mackelduff were part of the 1722 Scots/Irish migration from Maryland and Delaware into southern Pennsylvania. They established a large and successful 1,210-acre plantation along the West Branch of the Brandywine Creek. They built one of the first, if not the first, grist and saw mills in the area and continued milling into the 19th century. Their son, Samuel, converted the original log house into the current 2 1/2 story dwelling in 1740. As the first home on the plantation, it was named the Manor House. The Mackelduff family was very influential in the community. Having a sincere belief in God, they were instrumental in founding the nearby Forks of the Brandywine Presbyterian Church. The grave of James Mackelduff is the earliest known Mackelduff burial (1760) at the Forks of the Brandywine Presbyterian Church cemetery. The house remained in the Mackelduff family until the early 1900’s.

Dr. and Mrs. Gordon Eck purchased the farm in 1983. During the next twenty years, the house was restored and several additions added. In 2002, Brandywine Manor House held its first wedding ceremony and reception. Over the next eight years, several additions and changes were added to the venue. In late 2010, Brandywine Manor House suffered a large house fire that left more than half the home demolished. Fortunately, the oldest part of the home remained standing and over the next two years, the house was rebuilt and renovated into the house that stands today. Two years later, Dr. Eck received a circa 1794 barn that was numbered, taken apart, and rebuilt on Brandywine Manor House’s property, saving it from destruction and preserving a bit of local history. With the popularity of the Manor Barn, an early 1800’s barn was purchased and connected to the existing barn in late 2014.

More than a decade after its inception, Brandywine Manor House is still family owned and operated.

To learn the meaning behind our logo, the Dogwood tree, please click here.


If you’d like to learn more about Brandywine Manor House, please call us at 610.942.2200 or email at info@brandywinemanorhouse.com.

icon-pinterest-4   icon-facebook-5   icon-instagram-4   icon-mail-4

Brandywine Manor House BrideBrandywine Manor House BrideBrandywine Manor House BrideBrandywine Manor House BrideBCA-2015-logo-smallBCA2016-logo_2x

120 Germany Hollow Road, Honey Brook, PA 19344